Subject: Re: Albert Innaurato
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 28 Sep 2017 16:38:17 +0000

Hello all--
Philistine that I am, I had no idea that Albert Innaurato had another identity besides that of the curmudgeonly opera-l poster and blogger.  I didn't know he wrote plays, for one.
I just went through the posts from him that I have saved in my opera-l folder.  I actually received three private posts from him over the years:
One was to thank me for what was presumably a public post to opera-l backing him up on some opinion or other.  As if he needed my approval!
Another was backing me up on my opinion that the first Tebaldi Aida recording was the better of her two recordings and one of my favorite recordings of the opera.  I wish I had remembered that when a few months ago I discovered the very wonderful Remington Aida with Mary Curtis-Verna which is currently being offered on Opera Depot.  A contemporary review of that recording that I saw a little later online rated it better in some, if not all, respects than the Decca/London.  If I had remembered that he was a fan of the first Tebaldi, I would have referred him to the Remington just to see what he thought of it.
The last private post I received from him was in 2014, when I wrote in support of a post he had written about Anna Moffo and wherein I expressed me probably minority opinion that Moffo's Thaïs was my favorite.  He wrote to me and said, "Thanks, Mike. Well, that Thais may be the product of special miking of her and a lot of crooning but she gets it, and it's wonderfully conducted with a great cast. One can do LOTS worse!!!!"  He went on from there to insult and criticize another opera-l poster by name (although there were many others that he could have mentioned in the same breath) who along with others "still harp on that Lucia, but ignore far worse performances from their favorites."
That Thaïs, by the way, is now a little better regarded than it was at the time, at least by some of those who have reviewed it on amazon.  I bought seven or eight copies of the reissue and gave them to friends of mine, and some of them who had stayed away from  the recording previously expressed surprise as to how much they found themselves enjoying it.  I myself stopped considering it a guilty pleasure after getting Albert's few words about it which were worth more to me than all of the negative reviews of the recording that I have read.
The last post from Albert that I have in my opera-l folder is the legendary one from August 31 that begins "It's only on Opera-L that one sees such astonishing philistinism and anti-intellectualism. No wonder there are so many Trump voters."  It proceeds with a number of "It's only on Opera-L that..." statements, each more acerbic than the last.  I don't recall seeing another post from him since then.  If that was his last one, it was certainly a fitting valedictory.
Albert's first post to me read in its entirety, "Thanks Mike for your kind words and also mentioning Stephen Adams post again, it is well worth reading and there are those I'm sure who read you, who don't read me."  Those who haven't taken the time to read Albert's posts are the ones who have lost out, as he has been in my experience the most insightful of the many commentators on this forum whom I have read in my almost twenty years as a member.  Just writing this post has caused me to miss him more than I already did.
Thank you, Albert, and I hope you will forgive me for quoting from your posts to me.  You had a real way with words and my paraphrasing you would not have done you justice.
Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!