Subject: With typos fixed, and thoughts expanded
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 23 Sep 2017 11:50:24 -0700

Several things might shock the critics of the critics, in addition to this
critic's egregious typos.

The first is that not every critic owns every Callas reissue. Happily,
given the internet, aficionados, spurred on if not downright eager to
refute published reviews, are free to chime in with their two cents, or
even their dollars worth. Hey, they can even post comments on reviews.

The second, and this is even more shocking, is that there are far more
people in the world than those on Opera-L. Some of those people are young,
and haven't a clue as to whom Maria Callas was, let alone why respect for
her artistry has increased as the initial debates over her voice and
behavior have subsided (somewhat) with the passage of time. (There are even
music lovers who never heard of a Broadway show entitled "Master Class,"
have never set foot in New York City, or who don't know banana from
Bellini.) Hence, some reviews are purposefully constructed to educate the
uninitiated.

I appreciate information about transfers past and future. What continues to
disturb me, however, is that some - not all - have posted about the
superiority of other transfers without actually performing the comparisons.
Then again, we do live in an age where facts matter less and less... to
some.

I also have a question about the Divina transfers. In 2009, Pablo announced
that they now had in their possession all of the BJR Mexico City acetate
masters, and were planning to work on them for release. Over eight years
later, they have yet to appear on their website. Anyone know what's up? I
wrote them days ago, and never received a reply.

jason victor serinus
---
Jason Victor Serinus http://www.jasonserinus.com     Whistler
Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The Pavarotti of Pucker**
Music and audiophile critic: Seattle Times, Port Townsend Leader,
Stereophile, Listen, San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area Reporter, Gay
City News, American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America, Stanford
Live, Opera Now, Copper, and more

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel

“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ. It’s a time to stand
out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and to let them know
we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will not go back into
the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our Orlando Massacre Support
Rally in Port Townsend, WA