Subject: Re: albert innarrato
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 28 Sep 2017 10:13:50 -0400

Hi, Y'all!
    I'm sorry, but I will not quite buy this.   Albert had reached a point
in his career where critical commentary and  intellectual discussion had
"developed" to the point where he saw  himself as "lecturing to the unwashed."
It was HIS opinion or the highway,  and if you disagreed publicly, you were
drenched in vulgar invective.   Everything posters have said here about the
great value of his posts certainly  applies to Albert's life on Opera-L ten
years ago.  But at the end, you  either sat on the right hand of God and
listened, or your were discarded as  worthless.  I had personally lost all
respect for him, both as a man and as  a critic, by the time Mrs. Claggert came
along.  I tried to hang on to a  respect for what he once had been, with
great, GREAT difficulty.  And  even given his early-career greatness, I cannot
quite accept the accolades  that have appeared here for his "life" on this
list at the end.
    Best, sorrowfully,
    Dennis Ryan

In a message dated 9/27/2017 11:35:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time,