Subject: Re: Albert Innaurato 1947-2017
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 28 Sep 2017 13:55:30 +0000

I am also saddened by Albert's death--a great loss to those of us who
love opera. I may have learned more about opera from him than from any
other writer; for that I was willing to tolerate his invective. He may
have been the most overly sensitive person I have ever known, but that
is perhaps not surprising for one who viewed life through opera.

I would add that his theatrical work was tremendous, especially his
early plays Benno Blimpie and Gemini. Gemini was a huge hit (ironically,
the Times's obituary of Albert called it one of the longest running
"straight plays" on Broadway); it appeared at a time when it was
unusual--even risky--to address sexual identity in a mainstream work. It
was also hilarious; I still smile when I think of the older woman at the
meal saying, "I'll just pick."

In his review of Gemini, Mel Gussow wrote, "Mr. Innaurato has a tendency
toward overstatement, but to reprimand him for that is almost like
scolding Kafka for writing about cockroaches. It comes with the
territory."