Subject: Re: Albert Innaurato 1947-2017
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 28 Sep 2017 09:21:39 -0400

I join others in expressing genuine sadness at the loss of a great musical mind who had a
true gift for words and used them as few are able.  I always enjoyed reading Albertís
comments and early on let him know of my fandom for his work.  This began a joyous,
beguiling correspondence that went on for years, and included invitations from him, which I
was never able to take advantage of, which ultimately would lead to some self-deprecating
humor on his part about his weight and appearance.  It always upset me and sometimes
broke my heart.

Unfortunately over time it ended bitterly with an increasing acrimony that I should have
better understood, but took too personally.  I donít write this to belittle or demean the man,
but there was a troubled soul there that cannot be ignored no matter how funny or brilliant
he was.  Ultimately, I made the decision to stop communicating as, for several years, his
correspondence was, to put it mildly, vicious and I refused to take the bait.

Several years ago I discovered he still occasionally would read my blog or other internet
rantings, and comment to mutual friends his regret and expressed some admiration for my
outlook on life and music and then posted it on Facebook.  One of them sent the post (he
had banned me from his page).   You could have knocked me over with the proverbial
feather.  Touched and flattered, I thought Iíd eventually break out the olive branch, but
time, who steals so much from us, slipped on and here we are today, mourning yet another
passing that came too soon.

There is no denying Albertís genius, and though he may not have always seemed happy,
even at his acerbic worst, he entertained, taught and selflessly shared a wealth of
knowledge that is, or should be, the envy of anyone who professes to love the arts.

Rest in peace, dear Albert.

p.