Subject: albert innarrato
From: robert levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 28 Sep 2017 00:35:36 -0400

Dear Listers,
Oh, no - so sorry to hear. I emailed Albert just yesterday after a few
months of silence. He was, of course, difficult and took offense more
quickly than any other human being, but he was also uproariously funny,
knowledgable to the nth degree and startlingly honest. He and I developed a
friendship when I hired him - very briefly - to write for Classicstoday.com
- but he would not be reined in by word count or style. We finally met at
the Met and embraced like old friends after two years of bi-weekly emails
and occasional phone calls, during which he asked me if I knew how to
pronounce his last name.
He could be very loving until he was not. He became angry with me, accusing
me of being just like the other editors, but then came back, funnily,
calling me Bobbele, as mysteriously as he had turned away. He also
complimented me on my knowledge, especially of bel canto, and my good taste
in voices, past and present (invariably his taste) and I was flattered.
He'd always sign his emails with a pun, or slightly altered familiar name
which reflected badly on his weight. It was meant to defuse and be funny
and it was.
He knew he was unhealthy and kept telling me that he wanted to die since he
didn't have an outlet for his writing, despised almost everyone, save for
one of his brothers - a priest, I
believe - which, he said, made for some lively conversations, since Albert
actually  would announce periodically that he hated the Virgin Mary. It was
hard to tell when he was being merely provocative.
His ever present anger was channelled into his playrwrighting when he was
young and he became famous. Then it faded and he never quite got over it.
I've never known anyone like him and I'll miss him.
Bob L

Bob