Subject: Albert Innaurato 1947-2017
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 27 Sep 2017 22:32:18 +0000

It is with a real sadness that I must report on Albert's death, at home in Philadelphia a few days ago, at only 70.

He had planned to attend some of the events of OP's Festival this month: I had expected to see him at the ZAUBERFLOETE opening: I had a CD to give him of historic Dresden ROSENKAVALIER excerpts.  He hadn't felt well and was hoping to go along last week- and never did.

I met him only relatively recently (10-12 years?) and almost by chance; as a 14 year old, his Off-B'way ( later B'way) hit GEMINI taught me something about the world, and I told him so. Like many, I knew his fascinating and fearless OPERA NEWS and NY TIMES pieces. I liked to take him to Philadelphia Chamber Music Society concerts- vocal, piano, string quartets-- and sit in the comfortable side chairs, He was a demanding but very apt critic; recent things he particularly liked included Eric Owens singing Schubert, Sarah Shafer in Lieder, Angela Hewitt playing Bach and (at Opera Philadelphia) Troy Cook's Posa.

Hereabouts and on Parterre, he made many the target of invective but could also be incredibly generous with information and insightful. Anyone who knew him will have had fallings-out.  With me, it was some of the critical and editorial company I keep ( and am happy to keep!) but he would come around after a while. He had a great deal more detailed score-based knowledge than do I or d most music writers, but was appreciative of anyone younger who had some store of respect and dedication to the art forms he loved ( and served). It was easy to get him to warn to any reference to an obscure but good ( or bad!) vocalist of the last 100 years: he always knew the scuttlebutt!
He made real contributions, for which I wish he had reaped more recompense and basic joy.  I will miss him and count myself lucky to have been even a minor planetoid among his wide circle of acquaintance.
-David Shengold