Subject: Met Operning Night - Bellini's Norma
From: Jackie Eubanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:03:19 -0400

Regarding Calleja, I can only agree with Bob and Stephen.  I have heard Calleja live in MacBeth, Hoffmann, Faust, Rigoletto, Boheme, and Lucia, and consider him one of the finest interpreters of these roles in recent years.  And emphatically, his is NOT a tiny voice.  Having listened to Norma on Sirius, I concur that this may not have been a stellar outing for him, but will be in the house next Tuesday and can form a more accurate impression then.  Opening night jitters can afflict almost anyone, and I suspect this may have come into play.  Pollione may, or may not, be a perfect fit for him, but the roles listed above certainly are.  His fast vibrato may not be to everyone’s taste, but should not earn him the opprobrium cast dismissively on “this Calleja person.” What rot.