Subject: Re: MET Opening Night - Bellini's Norma
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Sep 2017 18:20:31 -0400

Bob,

Total agreement about Calleja - I felt the same when I heard him for the
first time close to 10 years ago in a Covent Garden Macbeth.  Like Alfredo
Kraus he has mastered the elegance of the art of singing.  Like Pilar
Lorengar the voice will always be a little "buzzy" and therefore off
putting to some who cannot accept that as an integral part of his equipment
rather than considering it a  "flaw."  I thought him a little tight in
yesterday's broadcast but his was a first class voice in an often under
cast role. He should have been given his da capo.   I'm looking forward to
the whole thing in house on Thursday.

Steve