Subject: Re: MET Opening Night - Bellini's Norma
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Sep 2017 20:15:30 +0000

"This Calleja person" is, prime Pavarotti aside, the greatest Rigoletto
Duke in my experience, a very fine Hoffman, and unquestionably the
most impressive Gabriele Adorno I've ever heard. I consider it among
the half dozen,, or so, greatest tenor performances I've ever heard.
And, like Bergonzi fifty years ago, he made Macduff a very important
role.

I know no singer who has never made a bad choice, or, had a bad
night. I'm very surprised that you have no previous exposure to him,
since he has had a good number of broadcasts.

Don't slit your wrists over it, ;-)), but I consider him, without question,
the finest current tenor in the Italian rep.

No, I did not hear a note of last night's performance. It may have
been everything you report, but one night does not break a
career in the way that one night (Caballe in Lucrezia Borgia) can
make one.

Bob