Subject: Re: Review: Maria Callas: LIVE at Last!
From: Simonel Pietraru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Sep 2017 19:56:32 -0400

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:00:41 -0700, Jason Victor Serinus
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"Opera aficionados hoping for miracles—I'm one of those—would be wise
to adjust expectations."

Thanks for this review.

It is interesting how completely worthless all the reviews published so far
on opera blogs, websites, and Stereophile are. No one needs another
appraisal of Callas' contribution or analysis of her singing as was done on a
different website. These recordings have been available forever, and the
only thing needed in a review is a comparison to the best currently
available releases in terms of sound.

And this is all there is to say (after I checked all of them): all the
recordings in this box, after the "remastering" (NOT) and all the digital
wizardry, sound no better or worse than existing releases (except BJR,
when those exist and are available), WITH ONE EXCEPTION: the 1951
Mexico City Aida. Here Warner really found either the master tapes or a
close clone. What we have here is not an improvement in pitch or
background noise. This is nothing short of a miracle; it's a great recording
by any standard.

I am returning my box tomorrow and ordering the Aida separate.

How can reviewers of the complete box miss this? Is it pressure to publish
fast?

Simonel