Subject: Re: DiDonato lacks the legato requisite to make her Bellini singing effective?
From: William Weatherford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Sep 2017 14:14:06 GMT

Personally, I didn't care for JDD's Adalgisa.

Her voice is too fluttery and unsupported, and her pitch is often sketchy.

I would have preferred a real soprano in the role, as called for. JDD had to simplify passages and leave out notes. It was as bad as her stab at Maria Stuarda, if not worse.

I agree, Marilyn Horne was a superb Adalgisa, even though she was a mezzo.

Horne did, in fact sing it after her initial Met season in the role. She sang Norma with Sutherland in San Francisco around 1981 I believe.

Bill P.