Subject: Re: Interpolated notes
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:31:45 -0400

It was I who (not whom) said that pageantry and plot matter less to me
in a performance of AIDA, than how the music (not "just" music) sounds
when enhanced by an interpolated note.  This does not translate to a
preference for concert performances or cds.  My way of enjoying opera
is not eccentric by any means, nor is it a prescription for how you or any
one else should do. I like to speak my mind, but the only thing I preach
is live and let live.

The fact is, the love I have for AIDA and many other Verdi works, does not
extend to an uncritical approval of his characteristic way of stretching to
the
limit the duration and difficulty of the arias he gives to his soprano
heroines
only to deny them an official high note in some rather obvious places. What
musical ethics, I ask, makes a high E flat improper before "O patria mia"?;
there's an intermission between them, isn't there?

dtmk