Subject: Re: DiDonato lacks the legato requisite to make her Bellini singing effective?
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Sep 2017 20:31:54 -0500

I think diDonato is a vocally fine Adalgisa.  Adalgisa is a very young girl, considerably younger than Norma, and the voice should reflect that.  I also think that a light lyric soprano is also effective as Adalgisa (like Sumi Jo on the Bartoli recording, or even Caballe' on the Sutherland recording).  In contrast, I found Ebe Stignani to be far too matronly sounding and "old" for the role (judging by her singing on the first Callas recording for EMI and the 1955 RAI recording).  Marilyn Horne was a beautiful Adalgisa, and she contrasted with Sutherland beautifully.  However, I think her voice became far less suitable for the role as time went on.  If memory serves, she never sang Adalgisa again after her initial Met season (not the complete role anyway ------ she had others to sing).   Back to Stignani, a great singer certainly, but to my ears, an Amneris, Azucena, Ulrica, Eboli, etc, is not suitable for Adalgisa.  I also thought that Elena Obrasztova, booming and exciting mezzo that she was ---------- was totally miscast in the role as was Dolora Zajick.

        I find diDonato fine ----------- and Rad is superb.