Subject: Re: Interpolated notes
From: RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:37:22 -0400

Hi, Vesna -

There is also the famous -- or infamous -- "Di quella pira" recorded by Caruso and inflicted on the public by Ed Smith.  As the story goes, Caruso heard comments that his high notes were getting shorter as he grew older,  To show otherwise,  at a subsequent recording session, he surprised everyone by holding the final note an exceedingly long time.  The lie to the story rests in the recorded fact that, if the holding of the note was a surprise, why did the orchestra keep playing the final notes again and again  They did not. of course.  It was a looping of the same portion recording again and again.

Best.

Ry