Subject: Re: Interpolated notes
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Sep 2017 12:29:52 -0400

Minority opinion here, but that, to my ears, Callas sounded as screechy and
scratchy as all get out.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you
should, and the excess is just so far over the top that it does indeed seem
like a parody.  I certainly would never use this as a primo bit of evidence
of Callas being a great interpreter.

And as for whoever said opera isn't about the pageantry and the story and
whatever else, it's just about the music:  well, everyone is entitle to his
or her opinion but if that is all opera is to you, you have missed out on
quite an art form.  Why bother going to theater when you can listen on CD
and be saved from all the unnecessary other stuff?   I guess I'm one of
those folks who go for the interwoven intensity between voice and orchestra
and acting and story and staging and directing.  If I don't get at least
four of the six (preferably at least five of the six if I don't get them
all) then I feel let down.  Sorry to say, the voice alone cannot save an
entire performance for me.

Of course, if you are going to a concert performance the mix is obviously
different.