Subject: Re: Interpolated notes
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Sep 2017 08:57:04 -0700

Back in 1972, a new theater was inaugurated in San Jose, Ca. with a production of “Aida.” San Jose didn’t have a regular opera company at the time but they had a symphony orchestra that was deployed. Galvany sang the Aida with the E-flat. Other cast members included Grace Bumbry and Ezio Flagello.

I had heard of Amara doing it and it doesn’t surprise me. I think she lacked the vocal glamour and physical charisma of other star singers, but she was second to none as a vocal technician. One might not prefer the sound of her voice or musical style in every role, but she was one of those rare singers who could sing just about anything.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone