Subject: Re: Met NORMA broadcast tomorrow-- savoring anticipation?
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Sep 2017 10:08:16 -0400

Steve asked:

"Is someone currently investing in the pleasures of anticipating the broadcast in question, I
would welcome timely contributions here from anyone with anything relevant to say."

* * * * *

I had mixed feelings about opening the season with Norma;  As much as I love it, it's
become such a hit or miss work today and much of that has to do not only with casting but
the sometimes ludicrous sometimes yawn-inducing productions it receives.  That being said,
THIS production, based on video clips, "sneak previews" and advance word sounds like it
has "HIT" stamped all over it, which thrills me in anticipation of tonight's opener.  I'll
certainly be tuning in.

The photos and video of McVicar's new production for the company look sensational, but
more importantly, Calleja looks terrific in his Roman armor sounding pure golden age and
elegant; the title role has the somewhat steely, heroic sound of Ms. Radvanovsky getting it
"just right"; while the rapid vibrato-ed DiDonato (seemingly somehow convincing the
director to let her wear her own pixy locks) presents an Adalgisa of the "innocent young
maid" variety rather than the matronly mezzo type we're sometimes get.

I can't wait!

Here's the official (too short) trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0lnFcBKMcU

Maybe we can tie this thread in with interpolated high notes?  LOL!

p.