Subject: Interpolated high notes
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Sep 2017 12:05:53 +0000

I like the Eb in Alt in the Triumphal Scene, and find it no less
drammatically out of place than those in Lucia, Puritani and
a number of other leggiera roles, which is to say, I do not
find it out of place at all.

But, I've seen Aida about forty times, and though I've never
heard that Eb live, none of them were "doomed" by that particular
deprivation!

As far as dramatic Amneris's are concerned, Simionato in
Tokyo, 1961, is the standard by which I judge all others. She
is not only the personification of the role, but her vocalism is
without equal in my experience. Only Minghini-Cattaneo comes
close. The Tokyo performance is in superb sound and also
features a superb Gabriella Tucci and an in form Mario del
Monaco. It should be better known!

Dominguez is an exciting, but way over the top and very imprecise
Amneris in that Mexico City performance. There are far better!

Bob