Subject: Re: Interpolated notes
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 24 Sep 2017 23:03:33 -0400

Not so...I'm in fact the single person that DID try to give a dramatic justification for the
high note. From my post on Saturday:

"It's certainly feasible to interpret a final high Eb in the Triumphal Scene as a cry of
despair, not as a showoff vocal moment. Compare the phrase in the 'guerra guerra'
ensemble in Act I sc 1 which brings her up to the high C, above everyone else. That
seems to me to be in the same vein of interpretation, though of course Verdi actually
wrote that passage lol."

I'm not saying the high Eb is *necessary* or even necessarily desired, but I do think it
can be an expression of Aida's emotional turmoil. Certainly not all extreme high notes
represent joyous situations.