Subject: Re: Before They Were Stars: Beverly Sills
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:16:06 -0400

Indeed!  Sills sang a total of 14 performances of Aida, in 3 productions over 6 years
(1954-1960), so it wasn’t quite a one-off sing for her.  She sang the role in Patterson New
Jersey, with Utah Opera – outdoors in a giant football stadium in Salt Lake City, and again
in Patterson New Jersey.  9 of those Aidas were with Central City Opera with Roz Elias as
her Amneris!

Other roles for Sills we might think of her in included Tosca (9 performances); Carmen
(14 performances); Nedda; The Countess in Figaro; the Wife in Hindemith’s “Hin Und
Zuruck”; Suor Angelica; Giorgietta (Tabarro); Gretchen in Schumann’s “Scenes from
Goethe’s Faust” – which performances included Tatiana Troyanos, Florence Kopleff,
Thomas Paul, Hermann Prey, soprano soloist in Verdi’s Requiem; Mendelssohn’s “Elijah”;
Bach’s St. Matthew Passion; Handel’s “Messiah”; Haydn’s “Creation”; Beethoven’s 9th
Symphony; and most unusual of all, Turandot and Kundry.  Okay, maybe not Turandot.  Or

[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Hi. Lets not forget Sills' Aida i think in Colorado or some obscure
>place like that & her Fiora in "Amore Tre Re" somewhere else back
>then. Both Boheme roles, too, that she detested

Modify your settings: