Re: MET Opening Night - Bellini's Norma

David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:55:10 -0400

text/plain

Strange there are not a slew of reviews of the Met opening 'Norma'. I heard
only the introduction of the hosts (purest torture with absurd PC analysis
of the plot -- where is Milton Cross when you need him?) and the music up
through Pollione's entrance scene. Joseph Calleja left me completely at a
loss to explain the apparent enthusiasm for him on this List. Andrea
Bocelli could not have been worse. Tiny voice plagued by a pronounced
'caprino' -- he has no business coming near this role. I have never heard a
tenor leave out so much music preparing for the high note at the end of the
cabaletta, and what emerged was not pretty. I cannot imagine how he got
through the rest of the opera.

Too bad that Rad. was evidently not in good voice. From the descriptions I
have read she was a good deal better earlier in Chicago.

But this Calleja person...

David Kubiak