Subject: Re: Maria Callas
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 16 Sep 2017 16:45:12 -0400

There are lots of tributes on social media and radio stations today. She
was my introduction to opera and, at least for me, she remains the most
special artist in the whole opera world. I'm glad to read your positive
reaction to this massive reissue of her live recordings because I'm still
undecided whether to buy it. Those who love her have their favorite Callas
Traviata, Norma, Medea... alas, none of my favorites of her live recordings
in these roles are in this set and I was surprised at some omissions too
(her Mexico City I PURITANI for one). Still, there are some rarities that
can be attractive enough to get the entire set.

I've already listened to her LYRIC & COLORATURA ARIAS disc earlier today
and her second studio LA GIOCONDA. She was in a better voice a few years
earlier on her first studio set, but here she sings as if she bares her
soul and heart to the whole world, devotees and detractors alike,
absolutely fearless in her artistic and emotional commitment. Even a few
vocal imperfections she acquired by this stage in her career come across as
utterly human. Though I can't find the documented source for her often
circulated quote about this recording (the first time I read it was in
Ardoin's book), it rings very much true: "It's all there for anyone who
cares to understand or wishes to know what I was about." To her memory.

Vesna