Subject: Re: Before They Were Stars: Beverly Sills
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:52:26 -0400

San Francisco was not a bad place to be in those days.  It was 1964 or so,
before I could hear Sills in DON GIOVANNI, but as Anna!,  and she was
the only soprano who ever made "Non mi dir", enjoyable, from its
recitative, -
in which she soared to a note lesser divas only peck at, and lingered on it
with as breathtaking an effect as the famous one in Milanov's GIOCONDA., -
to its final flourish.  I wasn't going to wait until I got into heaven, I
had to attend
another performance just to hear that note again.

dtmk