Subject: Before They Were Stars: Beverly Sills
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:15:28 -0400

It’s been a while since I’ve scanned through the Sills autobios, but I always
recall being fascinated by her early career mention of San Francisco Opera
in 1953.  While Sills mentioned the operas was cast in, I cannot recall ever
seeing who her cast mates were for those performances.  Curiosity finally
got the better of me, so I recently scoured through the San Francisco
Opera performance annals to see sang along with Sills . . . and wow!

Die Walkure
Brünnhilde – Gertrude Grob-Prandl
Sieglinde – Inge Borkh
Siegmund – Ludwig Suthaus
Wotan – Paul Schoeffler
Hunding – Deszo Ernster
Fricke:  Margarete Klose
Conductor:  Georg Solti

Don Giovanni
Don Giovanni, a licentious young nobleman:  Nicola Rossi-Lemini
Don Pedro, the Commandant:  Deszo Ernster
Donna Anna, his daughter:  Ellen Faull
Don Ottavio, her fiancé:  Jan Peerce
Leporello, servant of Don Giovanni:  Italo Tajo
Donna Elvira, jilted by Don Giovanni:  Beverly Sills
Masetto, a peasant:  Lorenzo Alvary
Zerlina his betrothed:  Barbara Gibson
Conductor:  Tullio Serafin

Mefistofele
Mefistofele:  Nicla Rossi-Lemini
Faust:  Jan Peerce
Margherita:  Licia Albanese
Marta:  June Wilkins
Wagner:  Virginio Assandri
Elena:  Beverly Sills
Pantalis:  Margaret Roggero
Nereo:  Cesare Curzi
Conductor:  Fausto Cleva

Elektra
Elektra:  Inge Borkh
Kltemnestra:  Margarete Klose
Chrysothemis:  Ellen Faull
Orestes:  Paul Schoeffeler
Fifth Maidservant:  Beverly Sills
Aegisthus:  Ludwig Suthaus
Conductor:  Georg Solti

Would certainly be a lot of fun to discover tapes of these!

p.