Subject: Re: Milanov's !955 Ballo Live From The Met
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:56:52 -0500

Tom:

     I share your feelings about Milanov.  Though I never saw her in person, my dad was crazy about her and we had all of her RCA recordings.  I've long since replaced them on CD and I have many of her Met broadcasts.  She had an old fashioned demeanor that had a certain grandeur to it.  For me, her greatest operas were "Forza del Destino (as heard on her 1952 Met broadcast),  "Trovatore" (as heard on the 1952 RCA recording), "Aida" (as heard on the 1955 RCA recording -------especially the voicing of "Numi, pieta" at the conclusion of "Ritorna Vincitor" and the Amneris/Aida scene, the Nile and Tomb Scene with Bjoerling), the 1954 "Chenier" broadcast with del Monaco,

and live 1957 Tosca (from London) with Corelli;   Also the 1940 "Ballo" broadcast (she was only 34 at the time, and finally, the 1946 Gioconda broadcast.

     Yes, there were times when her voice could turn squally and unruly.  She could be erratic, but on the nights when all her ducks were in a row, she was incomparable.  No soprano can sustain a thirty year career at the Met without having SOMETHING, and Milanov certainly made a lot of people happy.

                                                                                                               Les/Chicago