Subject: Re: Milanov's !955 Ballo Live From The Met
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:39:52 +0000

A couple of things.

Milanov had a ravishing voice, which remained more or less
intact until the sixties, though the top C was very hit and miss
by then. I saw her in five roles between 59 and her farewell -

Tosca, which, outside of a fine "Vissi d'arte", was a parody
of this thing called opera.

Chenier, which was consustently fine until the very end.

Gioconda, which was a triumph when I saw it in 61. She
was in total control., and much of it was breathtaking.

Otello was only ok until the last act, which was as well sung as
I've ever heard. The less said about the visual, the better.
and
Cavalleria, which was my idea of what Saturday Night Live might
do with an operatic sketch,
but,
when Simionato's Santuzza was over, during the incredible ovation
that greeted her first curtain, a woman sitting in front of me
turned to her seat mate and said "what are they carrying on
about. Milanov is MUCH better". My jaw just dropped, but
beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and Zinka was very loved
in New York.

And - she was a lot better than some of you give her credit for.

Bob