Subject: Re: Milanov's !955 Ballo Live From The Met
From: robert levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:55:27 -0400

Exactly - and as adored as Zinka is, one has to acknowledge that going deep
into characters was not her forte. She was a rich voice and a presence -
not to be sneezed at by anyone (I wonder if she would be as popular today,
with her "generalized grandeur" - thank you, Stephen). But her vocal
decline - and it was a looooooong, public decline - was interesting. By the
early '60s, you never knew what you'd get.