Subject: Re: Fanciulla at NYCO
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 15 Sep 2017 10:17:04 -0700

The Rose Theater was never intended as a space for the presentation of a
staged operatic production.  It was built as a concert hall for Jazz at
Lincoln Center.  It is at best, a stop-gap venue for the New New York City
Opera.

I've always wished they could buy the old Mark Hellinger Theater on W.
51st. (Currently the Broadway Tabernacle Times Square Church)   It is a
gorgeous baroque interior set inside an art deco exterior, a true theater
with a pit and since there are still low rise buildings behind it, the
possibility exist to extend the stage house and build proper facilities.
It's also around 1600 seats - a perfect size and unlike most Broadway
theaters it was built originally as a movie palace with the requisite
lobbies and public spaces, equally as beautiful as the auditorium itself.
Of course, in a perfect world, an angel would arise who could do this.
Obviously, we are in an imperfect world and it won't happen.

Donald