Subject: Re: L'amore dei tre re
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 19 Sep 2017 11:45:09 -0400

Washington Opera did a beautiful production by Beni Montressor back
in the 1980s.  The production then went to City Opera, with some
alterations of cast.  In DC we had Neblett – who was incredible as Fiora.  In
New York, a pregnant Neblett alternated the role with Noelle Rogers.
Samuel Ramey replaced Jerome Hines, but I believe the rest of the cast
may have remained intact.

Oddly, what sold like hot cakes in DC you couldn’t GIVE tickets away to in
Manhattan.  I Donal Henahan’s less than enthusiastic review didn't help.   He
He complained about Montressor’s sets, Frank Corsaro’s staging, the
implausibility of the plot (really . . . we're going "there?") and how
Montemezzi was merely a craftsman, not a composer.

Henahan’s joked about the ridiculousness of the idea of Archibaldo’s
carrying Fiora’s corpse:  “The king, you remember, is blind.  This is the
kind of thing directors do when they think the music is too weak to carry
the day.”  Well, it isn’t in the libretto, but this bit of action was hardly new
and had been part of most stagings for at least decades.  Sills, who sang
the role in Philadelphia with Fernando Corena as Archibaldo told a
humorous anecdote:

"Corena was a small man, and every night he had to pick me up and carry
me  across the stage of the Philadelphia Academy of Music.  I really was
skinny at the time--I have the photos to prove it--but I was still a big
woman, and it was no picnic for Fernando to do all that shlepping.  For
years afterward, whenever we saw each other--and no matter how fancy
the reception might be--Fernando would grab his side as if he'd just
developed a hernia and then mutter, 'Sills, it *hurts.'"

Here’s a photo of the “really skinny” Sills in the role . . . she really did look lovely!

lovely!

http://tinyurl.com/y9cjt39u

p.