Subject: Re: Kaufman le fort-ténor ?
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 18 Sep 2017 15:22:21 -0400

I am usually pleased with the way he sounds, and not in the least
bothered by, or even aware of, a "baritonal" quality.. What I have
never liked is any production I have seen him in.  It would be so
refreshing if, just once, Kaufmann would appear in a traditional staging
of a familiar opera, wearing the appropriate costumes.  He looked
good in an ANDREA CHENIER I saw on Youtube, but the production
was intolerable, and I don't think the role suits him.  Neither does
DAS LIED VON DER ERDE!  He seems excessively, or obsessively,
to be always very much in control, lacking spontaneity and abandon.
The way I'd like to compare him with Thill, would be if he were to record
the Cantique de Noel in a similar arrangement.

dtmk