Subject: Re: Maria Callas Live OUT TODAY: 40 years this week since La Divina's death
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Sep 2017 18:31:29 +0000

I own a complete chronology of the RAI archives from the thirties through
the sixties and there is no mention of any of the Callas material except
for the 55 Norma with Stignani and Del Monaco, conducted by Serafin.
It was released by Fonit Cetra and is in the kind of studio sound one
might inagine. It was recorded at the RAI studios in Roma.

Without being certain, I am persuaded that it is very likely that none
of the other material that is known to us, originated with RAI.

The Cetra Gioconda, Traviata and 49 recital all eminated from
recording studios, and are in excellent sound. There was always
a working connection between Cetra and RAI, though that connection
is not particularly well defined.

Until sometime after WWII RAI was known as EIAR.

Bob