Subject: Re: OPERA-L Digest - 16 Sep 2017 (#2017-902)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Sep 2017 13:48:12 +0000

The recent remastring of the studio recordings was an improvement
over previous CD incarnatons, especially Cavalleria, which
had been the subject of awful distortion at the high end going way
back to some late LP reissues.

Like Gene, I am not a completist and own less than half of Callas's
total output, but I have been collecting her stuff since 1960. I have
been most impressed by the La Divina issues, which I imagine are
as good as is possible with compromised original source material,
which most of her live stuff is. So, like the others, I will be very
grateful for any comments about this new issue. Frank Hamilton
was very involved in the Divina enterprise, and he was fastudious
to a fault.

BTW, the wonderful 58 Traviata from Covent Garden has always
appeared a half tone sharp. If anyone finds a pressing in proper
pitch, please let us know, with my thanks.

Bob