Subject: Re: OPERA-L Digest - 16 Sep 2017 (#2017-902)
From: Gene Bowen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Sep 2017 07:15:17 -0400

Maria Callas Live release

Warner has sent an email touting the release of their new set "Callas
Live".   The text includes somewhat extravagant claims about sonic
restoration/improvement and a link to a YouTube demo from the French
engineer who headed the project. [Maria Callas Live: Re-mastering her live
opera recordings from original tapes]
  A curious video.   First, let me admit that I am in my 70's with the
concurrent high frequency loss that entails.  There are several
source/restoration examples and I could barely discern much improvement.
But my hearing may be at fault.  Others' opinions would be helpful.  The
engineer said that the number one criterion was the best original source.
He had access to one private collector (the name meant nothing to me) and
then he seemed to say that he relied on the EMI previous releases of the
live performances.   At that previous time of those releases I recall there
was criticism that EMI simply had not gotten the best available original
sources in several performances. If that is true, reverting back to EMI as
source material seems bizarre.  While I'm a Callas fan,  I am not a
completist and many listers likely are more knowledgeable.  The two
performances I was hoping that might be improved are the *Nabucco* and *Andrea
Chenier*.
In the comments section there is a posting from someone who seems to
already have the Warner set and says that some of the  "restorations" are a
hoax, citing  *Nabucco* with the claim that the old  Myto release had
better sonics and  that Divina Records transfers are superior in several
performances.  How can one decide what to purchase?