Subject: Re: Maria Callas
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Sep 2017 01:32:01 -0400

Spent the whole day today listening to parts of Callas operas ------ Medea, Norma, Anna
Bolena, Turco in Italia, Gioconda, Sonnambula, Trovatore, Aida, Lucia di Lammermoor, Ballo
in Maschera, Pirata, Macbeth, etc.  It's still impossible to believe that it's one artist
undertaking such an extraordinary plethora of repertoire ---------- and sounding different in
each.  The colors she employs, the phrasing,  the sheer vocal and dramatic force are
something we won't hear again.  Even on some of the vocally problematic top notes, there
are items from her aria recitals in the early 1960s that have magic moments.
     We've heard many great sopranos, but there can be no Callas comparisons.  The lady
lived as a vocal law unto herself and she still resides in a galaxy all her own.  I'm sure we'll
never encounter her like again.  She was opera and she was the real deal.
     To have been born with such a gift of communication and expression through music!