Subject: Maria Callas box set
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:48:45 -0500

I got in today the new live Callas set and the two-disc sampler.  I played the sampler in the car this afternoon.  My impression was generally positive but I didn't think the Mad Scene from Anna Bolena sounded nearly as good as I remember it sounding on the BJR set on LP.

I sampled the Vestale earlier today.  I wouldn't say it sounded exactly "good," but it didn't seem to have all the roar I have become accustomed to from recordings going back to the UORC set.

The Armida omits that section at the beginning of the third act which is normally omitted because the original tape was recorded at a slower speed over a man who had recorded some speech, so it is twelve minutes of a guy talking in slow motion competing with the music.  That section is included on the Divina Records release for those who are interested.

I started listening to the Nabucco.  I think they employ the standard trick of using an overture from a different performance, since the sound quality changes at the beginning of the first act.  I think the first act sounds better than I am accustomed to, so far at least.

Those are my impressions of the set so far.

Mike Leone

Ecco il Leone!

Sent from my iPhone

.