Subject: Re: Met Broadcasts We Wish We Had
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 9 Sep 2017 10:43:15 -0500

Wouldn’t it also be wonderful to have her 1959 Thais from Chicago! I believe that was the only time she sang it. (Kinda like Callas’ Butterfly. Although she recorded it, she never sang the role onstage.)

> On Sep 9, 2017, at 10:35 AM, Max D. Winter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  But would have been nice to have
> some record of Price's Minnie, which has vanished into the ether (to my knowledge - if
> anyone knows of a recording of one of her tour performances, please let me know!).

When the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre -- the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken