Subject: Re: The Wilson "Lohengrin" was Met Broadcasts We Wish We NEVER Had
From: Rcfgodoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:57:34 -0400

I concur/agree with Bob - although at first I was not amused, and would've changed a few things, I enjoyed it very much.  Granted I saw the first revival with Mattila, and heard how the there weren't as many stylized hand and body movements; that might have helped it.  Even the slow moving chorus during fast music worked.  Even my uncle that doesn't care much for Wagner found it to be a religious experience.

I also saw Wilson's take on Parsifal in LA, and that was painful.  No chorus on stage, a lot more frozen statuary singing than Lohengrin.  Domingo complained his voice suffered from that run, and retired the role for a few years.  Big surprise, he eventually brought it back.