Subject: Re: Offstage instruments
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Sep 2017 10:01:34 -0400

Oh my goodness, I wrote about offstage music in Verdi (all these examples
have in common to suggest a party going on in the back rooms while the
central action is taking place onstage) and forgot the infamous offstage
horn in ERNANI. Silly plot - on his wedding day, the main character has to
commit suicide (against his wishes, of course) at the sound of the horn,
imagine! Victor Hugo's courtesy, btw.

Vesna