Subject: Offstage instruments
From: "Hansen, Niels Christian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:49:35 +0000

Dear collective wisdom (with apologies for cross-posting),

For a research project at Ohio State University, School of Music, we are currently assembling a database of musical pieces in which composers call for one or more instruments to be played "offstage".

Classic examples from the Western symphonic repertoire include: (1) the offstage trumpet in Ludwig van Beethoven's Leonore Overtures Nos. 2 & 3, (2) the offstage oboe in the third movement ("Scène aux champs") from Hector Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique, and (3) the offstage female choir in "Neptune" from Gustav Holst's The Planets.

We would be very grateful for your kind help in drawing our attention to as many other examples as possible that you may be aware of!

Thanks in advance,
Niels Chr. Hansen & David Huron

Niels Chr. Hansen (PhD, MSc, MMus) | Postdoctoral Fellow in Music Cognition | Cognitive and Systematic Musicology Laboratory<http://musiccog.ohio-state.edu> | School of Music<https://music.osu.edu/> | Ohio State University<https://www.osu.edu/> | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>