Subject: Re: Met Broadcasts We Wish We Had
From: Art McManus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Sep 2017 14:47:49 -0400

There are broadcasts that I wish survived -- like the early 30s Ponselle &
Lauri-Volpi Norma (Acts 3 & 4 only) and Trovatore (again partially b'cast),
or the Rigoletto with De Luca, Lauri-Volpi and Pons.  Or we can daydream
that Sirius had been around in the 1950s and caught nights like Flagstad's
return to the Met (Tristan with Vinay and Reiner conducting) or her last
Gotterdammerung a month later (the b'cast went to Traubel at Flagstad's
insistence, I believe).  Too bad the microphones didn't capture any more of
Callas at the Met than the one Lucia.  How about one of the two she sang
with Bergonzi? Or one of the Normas.
There are so many one-offs to wish for.  Perhaps the only time Tebaldi and
Bjorling sang together at the Met -- a 57 Tosca with Warren, Mitropoulos.
Curtain calls at the end went on for at least a half hour. Maybe Cavalleria
with Del Monaco and Varnay (or on another night, Milanov). Even harder to
imagine, the Lucia that paired Del Monaco and Pons.

We dream on