Subject: Met Broadcasts We Wish We Had (3)
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Sep 2017 03:19:14 +0000

I wish we had a telecast of the first year of the Schenk-designed, Levine-led TANNHAEUSER with McCracken, Rysanek, Bumbry, Weikl and Macurdy (not to mention the sparkling Battle). That Wolfram was Weikl at his Met peak,

The staging got captured a few years later with Cassilly ( thrilling in his odd way though not exactly dulcet) MartonĀ  (respectable, but as Leighton Kerner write, Leonie's Elisabeth could wring tears from a stone) and Troyanos-- the last named was very good, but a shame there is no visual record of McCracken, Rysanek and Bumbry in these roles