Subject: Re: Nelson Eddy
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 9 Sep 2017 10:09:16 -0400

The early Disney cartoons were not created for the amusement of children--nor were they received that way, as they were huge hits with adults. Children loved them as well, but back then there was not a separate media market for kids as there is now. Films like Snow White were considered adult entertainment and the early Mickey Mouse shorts often contained a degree of vulgarity that shows they were not intended for kids. For a long time, movie theaters showed animated shorts before every film (along with newsreels and documentary shorts); these were adult audiences. It was only later that cartoons became viewed as something aimed at kids. A short like "The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met" would entertain kids, but had a degree of sophistication that shows it was meant for adults.

Many of the genres we now think of as "for kids" began similarly as general adult entertainment--puppet theater, pantomime, circus.