Subject: Re: Spectacular 1958 Met Otello (not the del los Angeles one)
From: Michael McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Sep 2017 22:31:29 -0400

On Sep 8, 2017, at 12:58 PM, Max D. Winter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Warren's performance also reminds one that in opera, it is the VOICE that is the primary
> vehicle for communicating the drama, not "acting" that looks good on camera.  (I'm
> thinking of the Iago in the ROH performance of "Otello" with Kaufmann that I saw several
> weeks ago.  Very well acted for the screen, certainly, but if you shut your eyes and just
> listened, it was an interpretive blank.)

Max,

I absolutely agree with you. After I saw the Kaufmann Otello in the movie theater a month or so ago, I went home and listened to the Credo on Youtube sung by Warren and then Bastianini and realized what I had missed in the movie theater a few hours before.

By the way, while I didnít think Kaufmann was bad, he just wasnít as good as I had expected or wanted him to be.

Best,
Michael

Michael J. McPherson