Subject: Leontyne Price/Thais
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 10 Sep 2017 23:41:48 -0500

I wouldn't too excited about those Leontyne Price Thais performances in Chicago during the 1959 season there. I was only a sophomore in high school at the time, but I was already going to the opera and used to read the reviews in all four of the newspapers that Chicago had at the time (now there are only two).
All four of the Chicago critics slammed the entire performance, though they all praised Leontyne Price's voice (who wouldn't have?).  The general consensus of opinion was that a great budding soprano was badly miscast in a third rate opera.  I believe that the opera is looked upon more favorably now, but not at that time. To my knowledge Price never sang the opera again, though she did make a beautiful recording of the Mirror Aria on her 1970 Prima Donna/Volume 3 recording.  That recording also featured her singing Madame Lidoine's final scene from Poulenc's "Les Dialogues des Carmelites", which to me still remains one of her most beautiful moments on records.