Subject: Re: Met Broadcasts We Wish We Had
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 10 Sep 2017 19:13:58 -0400

Klinghoffer.

This has nothing to do with opinions of the opera itself - it has to do with the decision the
Met made not only to cancel the HD broadcast, but also not to do any radio broadcasts of
it.

In the old days (i.e. before the weeknight Sirius streams and the HD casts), it was
common for several operas per season not to be broadcast - most commonly operas that
only ran in the first few months of the season, before the Saturday matinee broadcasts
started in December. And for many years, the season was carefully arranged so that from
December on, no Saturday matinees would be repeated, so at least we got as many
different operas as possible during the broadcast season - albeit still with a few missing.

But, since Sirius and the HD's began, I do not believe that any production has not had
some sort of broadcast. In addition, the Saturday matinee schedule now allows for
several weeks where archived performances from the beginning of the season are
plugged into the broadcast schedule - so that now even someone who *only* listens to
the Saturday broadcasts gets to hear a few of those fall performances that would
ordinarily be unavailable.

Except for Klinghoffer. As far as I know, it's the ONLY Met production in all this time that
has been missed - and at that rate, purposely censored from the airwaves due to political
vibes. Eight performances in the fall of 2014 - none of them broadcast or archived. Not
only a missed opportunity but a true shame that the Met caved into such a decision.

It would have been nice to have heard it, if not seen it, at least once.

Shande.

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 11:35:05 -0400, Max D. Winter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The Met Broadcast legacy is rich indeed.  But there are some performances I wish had
been
>broadcast and for which we had recordings in good sound.  Three of mine:
>
>"Pique Dame" with Stratas, Vickers and Resnik, from the 1965 season.  (The broadcast
>performance had Stratas, McCracken and Madiera.  Not chopped liver, certainly, but I
would
>rather have had Vickers and Resnik.)
>
>"Fanciulla del West" with Leontyne Price.  As most know, Price pulled out during the
second
>performance due to vocal fatigue.  Kirsten stepped in for her and sang the broadcast -
and
>did a fine job, remarkable lady and remarkable singer.   But would have been nice to
have
>some record of Price's Minnie, which has vanished into the ether (to my knowledge - if
>anyone knows of a recording of one of her tour performances, please let me know!).
>
>"Die Walkure" in 1968 with the originally scheduled Karajan conducting instead of
Klobucar