Subject: Re: Met Broadcasts We Wish We Had
From: Richard Maynard Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 9 Sep 2017 17:21:42 -0400

And then there's the May 12, 1939 broadcast of Götterdämmerung with
Flagstad, Melchior, Huehn, Manski, List, Thorborg, Gabor, etc., conducted by
Bodanzky, who died about 6 months later. Only the prologue was broadcast
(and preserved for posterity), so we're missing about 3/4 of the opera.

This was Flagstad's only Met broadcast of the Götterdämmerung Brünnhilde -
too bad we can't hear it.

RMW

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 11:35:05 -0400, Max D. Winter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The Met Broadcast legacy is rich indeed.  But there are some performances I
wish had been
>broadcast and for which we had recordings in good sound.  Three of mine:
>
>"Pique Dame" with Stratas, Vickers and Resnik, from the 1965 season.  (The
broadcast
>performance had Stratas, McCracken and Madiera.  Not chopped liver,
certainly, but I would
>rather have had Vickers and Resnik.)
>
>"Fanciulla del West" with Leontyne Price.  As most know, Price pulled out
during the second
>performance due to vocal fatigue.  Kirsten stepped in for her and sang the
broadcast - and
>did a fine job, remarkable lady and remarkable singer.   But would have
been nice to have
>some record of Price's Minnie, which has vanished into the ether (to my
knowledge - if
>anyone knows of a recording of one of her tour performances, please let me
know!).

>"Die Walkure" in 1968 with the originally scheduled Karajan conducting
instead of Klobucar
>(his substitute).  The dream cast included Nilsson, Stewart, Vickers,
Rysanek, Ludwig and