Subject: Re: Met Broadcasts We Wish We Had
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 9 Sep 2017 12:47:00 -0500

My mind falls on a March, 1957 Met broadcast of "Tosca", which was to have featured Albanese, Bjoerling, and Warren.   Unfortunately, Bjoerling was indisposed and Daniel Barioni was pushed into the slot.  It would have been nice to hear Bjoerling and Albanese sing together in this opera.  This turned out to be one of Albanese's most vivid and interesting performances, and Warren was in good form as well.  Unfortunately, Barioni veered so flat much of the time (from his opening phrases in Act I) that it kind of blemished the performance.

The conductor was Mitropoulos.