Subject: Movies with Operatic Themes or Tendencies
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Sep 2017 15:36:26 -0400

Keeping with the "Movies" theme . . .

One of my favorites is “Very Annie Mary,” a too little known Welsh film
starring Australian actress Rachel Griffiths in what I still hold is her most
endearing role to date.  The story revolves around a 30-something Welsh
woman who is a bit “simple” who, in her teens, won a national singing
competition judged by Pavarotti, the prize for which is a full scholarship
studying voice in Milan.   Unfortunately, on the heels of her victory, her
mother passes and her pitiful excuse for a father, deliciously played with
malicious relish by Jonathan Pryce, forces her to take Mama's place at
home.  Dad makes his clumsy, accident prone daughter dress in his dead
mother’s shapeless shifts, while constantly reminding her how beautiful her
mother was, and berating her with how “ugly . . . stupid .  . . useless” she
is and how no man would ever want her.

The movie is a modern day Cinderella tale punctuated with moments that
are almost howlingly funny, i.e., Annie (teaching voice on the side)
instructing a gay couple who after singing sing “You Can’t Get a Man With a
Gun” to pursue their dream and star on Broadway with Dolly Parton
in “Annie Get Your Gun.”  Pavarotti references (and images) abound as our
heroine, finds her way and purpose . . . and her voice.  It’s a gem of a
film.

You can view the trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5pUW6nHBVg

p.