Subject: Re: Other Singers Who Smoked
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Sep 2017 13:58:44 -0500

Pinza and Rethberg, among others, made recorded advertisements for Lucky
Strike cigarettes, presumably for distribution to radio stations, on
twelve-inch diameter single-side vinyl "78" rpm records, recorded by RCA
Victor and issued with a special gold label.  On the one example I have,
labeled "Lucky Strike Presents Miss Elisabeth Rethberg," RCA no. CS 07760,
the announcer introduces Madame Rethberg, states that she will sing "Un bel
di" from "Madame Butterfly," then a part of her commercial recording of UbD
is played, followed by a chat during which Rethberg discusses how she
faithfully smokes "Luckies" and enjoys "the lelaxation uf a liyt smoeke"
(sell it baby).

Caruso also smoked, heavily.